Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I'm still living and sewing on our boat.

 

I can't believe how long it's been since I last posted. We're still down here on the Gulf Coast of Florida and while I've sewn a number of things, I don't have access to a lot of the pictures as my computer died and I'm slowly moving them from another hard drive to my iPad.

We've been in the same marina now for nearly three years.

Wow.

This past weekend I took down our dodger (located toward the front of the boat, the dodger contains the plastic windshield) and reinforced the seams that were coming apart thanks to our brutal Florida sun. BTW, I forgot to put sunscreen on my upper exposed back neck area and, yes, I got a sun burn. Big surprise!


Since sewing (even with air conditioning) on our boat during the summer is nearly impossible, I had hoped to do some fun sewing this past winter. I did manage to get some projects completed but they leaned more toward functional boat stuff as opposed to fun creative stuff. And then we received news that the stork is due to make a delivery within the next few months to a cousin in the family and I got a bug up my butt and decided I really want to make a quilt. However, the only quilt I've ever made was for me and it was beyond amateurish and I wouldn't even gift it to a homeless person.
I then happened across a YouTube video from the Missouri Quilt Company that utilized a pre-cut jelly roll. Now, in the past I'd heard the term jelly roll, layer cake, blah blah blah, and actually, I found them to be kind of weird. But weird or not, pre-cut fabrics are just what the doctor ordered since I have very little cutting room here on the boat. I actually want to make two quilts so I order two jelly rolls for the tops and yardage for the backs. I can't tell you how excited I was yesterday when my fabric arrived and I was able to run my hands over 80 pre-cut 2 1/2 in wide strips. Yaaaay!
 
 

This print is called Bartholo-meow's reef. Too, too cute!



Look at all those bright prints.



It doesn't smell like a jelly roll!



Today is rainy and overcast which makes it perfect for me to get started.

If you have time you should check out the Missouri Quilt Company link I hi-lighted above and read about how they got started and what they've accomplished. What a great group of people.

 

2 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

So glad to hear from you Laura and love the selfie of Wilbur! I know you will make an awesome quilt! Take care and don't be a stranger! I've missed you!

Carolyn said...

Hi Laura, Glad to know you are still at the marina. We need to get together again and sew. I have added a serger and a coverstitch machine to my collection!