Thursday, January 22, 2009

Still in Oxford



Surprise! Hans got back from his meeting today at 2 PM which is a lot better than the 4 PM that was promised and the 6 PM that I was expecting.


Since Mother nature gave us a nice surprise and made the rain go away (for a while), we took a stroll into town.


It would appear that Oxford has more action than Cambridge (if you're from either place please don't take offense, it's just my observation!) There are a lot more shops, stores, pubs etc...






We were smart enough to take an umbrella on our stroll because it started to rain, and then we were lucky enough to find ourselves in an indoor market which is where we ended up spending most of our time.
Here are some offerings from a butcher shop.







If you look closely you can see poor old Peter Cottontail (right about in the middle) hanging by his heels, between the pheasants.















This is what I found inside a bathroom stall.

I never realized how loud my camera is when I take pictures. And wouldn't you know it, I forgot to turn off the flash so in addition to a very loud CLICK I'm sure everyone wondered why there was a sudden blast of light coming out of my stall!
















A close up of the message on the bottom of the canister.




This was a first for me.





Just some ducks hanging around the butcher shop.


















Now this is my idea of a purse!

It's a cake.

Just imagine how handy this would be if you had a PMS attack and forgot to pack some chocolate.









All that walking around makes a person hungry so we stopped in a shop for some coffee, apple pie (Hans), and carrot cake (Laura).










We couldn't make the huge 20 minute trek back to our hotel without fortifying ourselves at yet another pub.

I believe I could live on steak pies and I wish someone would explain to me why my pants are so tight these days.





3 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey Laura! Looks like you are having a fantastic time! I nominated you for an award!

David said...

Such a gorgeous shot of you!

laura said...

Very nice of you David, but I was feeling like a fat cow at the time!