Monday, September 15, 2008

The Women

Tonight, Turner Classic Movies is showing the original version of 'The Women'. A movie full of vicious gossips, loyal friends, and backstabbing bitches; I feel it conveys the most realistic portrayal of the intricate and tangled relationships among women, of any movie that Hollywood has ever produced.



I think the first time I saw it was about 15 or so years ago, and as an old movie buff I couldn't believe I'd never seen it before. I also couldn't believe that someone hadn't tried a remake of such a fabulous film, but I was wrong and from what I've read, The Opposite Sex from 1956, was a remake and a dismal failure.

Maybe we need to learn that sometimes, perfection, cannot be duplicated.

Would I want to see a remake of It's a Wonderful Life?

Well, I did, and it was awful. Poor Marlo Thomas was thrust into the female version of George Bailey and it was, at best, pathetic.

The wit and rapid fire dialogue of the original 'Women' cannot be surpassed and unfortunately with the evolution of time, the original plot just can't hold water either.

These days no matter how much a woman may love her husband, not very many women would take back a sniveling idiot who drops his drawers for the counter girl at Saks, and ends up marrying her!

Period.

But in the original, which was made in 1939, it is believable because back in those days a 'good' woman was loving, and forgiving, and understanding.

Today, she refuses to be the door mat, the 'oops I made a mistake so please take me back', woman.

And thank God she doesn't need to be.

But I still hoped that somehow the new version would be a keeper, something that everyone would rave about, and that I wouldn't mind spending a few dollars on to go see.

Apparently that's not going to happen but that's ok, because at 8:00 tonight I will be tuned into TCM (instead of Nancy Grace), and I will once again enjoy, The Women.

And I'll enjoy every bitchy second.

2 comments:

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

The Women (original) *is* a fabulous movie! I just don't think I can handle watching the remake. Is Jungle Red involved?

laura said...

I'm not sure if Jungle Red is involved or not, but I bet it is. I'm going to wait for it to be released on TV before I attempt to see it. I'm too cheap to pay for a movie that got such bad reviews.