Friday, September 3, 2010

Sewing a Crib. For a Boat?

I spend a lot of time these days cruising (such an apt expression!) live aboard boat blogs.

During the short two months Hans and I lived on our boat this summer, I found that we were very inadequately prepared for such a life. Luckily we have a bit more time and a lot more experience under our belts before we head out again this January for the Bahamas.

I found the Bumfuzzles on Cheryl's blog. Cheryl and her husband have been working like mad on their 1987 Catalina 30 in hopes of someday moving aboard. I'm impressed and amazed at the amount of work they've done on their own, especially during this summer's heat (they live in Louisiana!).

Anyway, they mentioned the Bumfuzzles on their blog and Shazzam!!!! before you know it, I'm sewing a crib for a Bumfuzzle Baby!

So a little background on these Bumfuzzle people. In their late 20's, Pat and Ali made a decision to forsake moving to and living out their lives in suburbia. Instead, they sold everything they owned, bought a sailboat (with absolutely no boating experience of any kind), proceeded to sail around the world, and managed to become the absolute bane of even the most hard core sailors.

Why?

Because they dared to dream, acted upon that dream, and seven years later are still living the dream. You really should check out their blog.

When I grow up, I hope to be just like the Bumfuzzles!

In addition to adding baby Quest to their family in January, they purchased a monohull sail boat; their previous boat having been a catamaran (and I can just hear the cruising forums rubbing their hands in glee over this).


But with this new home, the Bumbuzzles needed a secure place for their daughter Quest to reside. So they turned to their friends on the Internet and sent a shout out for help. The 'canvas' guy they hired neglected to inform the Bumfuzzles that he was more interested in retiring than sewing, and left them high and dry.

Enter me, Laura, the Somewhat Sewist.

I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, I'll never discover the cure for cancer, and I'll never write a Pulitzer Prize Winning Novel, but I'd like to think I can do a bit of good for someone who needs it!


So I volunteered.

I only hope to be able to hold up my end of the bargain!!!!


This is a rough 'frame' of one of the long sections of the crib lying on our carpet.


Remember; a crib has two long sides and two shorter ends.


This long section will have a mesh insert and a roll up/down panel for warmth (and/or privacy).

















Here it is with the mesh insert.



I have it hanging off my ironing board (so please forgive that odd X formation in the background).

I'll post more pictures of it when I'm done.














Wilbur has been fascinated with this whole process.



Here he is when I told him it was for a baby.



"I thought I was the baby!!!!!" was his reaction.

6 comments:

Ken n Cheryl said...

Laura, how cool! I teared up when I read that my blog led you to Pat & Ali, which lead to a crib for Ouest! It really is a small world. I've been following Pat & Ali for some time now and am so glad that you're helping them. I really hope we all meet someday! Pat & Ali are amazing, and your bubbly personality shows through your writing. Thanks for your generosity, and can't wait to see a picture of Ouest in your crib!

laura said...

Cheryl, during our short 2 months on the water, Hans and I were surprised at how kind the sailing community is. I wish everyone were so helpful.

Cyndi said...

Laura, that is looking fantastic! You are so clever and resourceful! I am sure that crib is going to be amazing when you are finished, and I can't wait to see it!

Perhaps you'll have to make one for Wilbur, too! :o)

XOXO,

Cyndi

P.S. How's he doing after having his "jewels" taken from him?

laura said...

Cyndi, I think Wilbur would shred that crib in a heart beat! I don't think he even realizes his little jewels are gone and he hasn't calmed down one bit.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a crazy challenge! Engineering is not my strong suit. I'll be eager to see how the whole thing works.

laura said...

Well, it's almost done, I'm just waiting for the brass grommets to arrive. All 88 of them!!!! Yes 88 grommets, and I hate grommets. When I'm done and if I'm still sane, I'll post pictures.