Thursday, August 6, 2009

Simplicity 2939 revisited...

...with a little better result than the first one.

At least I'll wear this version this weekend.

The only thing I wish I'd done, was use a 1/4 inch seam between the bodice and the skirt, like I did with my first try. I used the 5/8 seam allowance on this one and it hiked the skirt up a bit higher on my bust than I would like.

Oh well, next time!

I bought this material about 3 years ago for a different dress and it was a total flop (so what's new, right?) but I had just enough left for another stab at this pattern. It's a crinkly, slinky, polyester blend from JoAnn's.

The pattern calls for cottons but let's face it, slinky drapes better.

Anyway, I kept a size 10 for the bodice (which stops right below the bust) and then I cut the skirt in a 10 at the top where it meets the bodice and then graded it out (meaning bigger!) about a good inch starting just below the waist.

And I mean an inch on each side, both front and back. Added up that's about 4 inches total!!!! I don't even want to know what size that would compute to! So much for my self image.

I am a 'sweater' so I lined the skirt with Egyptian cotton, which by the way is a bit pricey! Thank God I got it on sale but it still cost more than the dress.

We're going to the boat this weekend and I'd like to wear this ashore for dinner. But I can't stand the whole 'skirt sticking to me' issue, and believe me, if I hadn't lined this thing that's exactly what would happen.

I do think I'll make this again and I already have some fun fabric (left over from purses) in mind.

I mentioned before that Hans and I are going to our boat this weekend, and we've had someone come along with us almost each time this summer. I was looking forward to just us this time when Hans informed me that a family of five is coming with us!

That's seven people on our 'camper on the water' !!!!


If I'm not committed by the end of the weekend I'll let you know how it went!

No comments: