Sunday, March 7, 2010

Two completed bags out of the way!


My mother made my niece's Easter dress and when I saw that she had leftover fabric, I offered to make a purse.

You can't really see here but it's a pretty shade of lavender. The dress is made from crepe backed satin and overlayed with organza.

Nothing you'll ever see me do.

I used Pink Penguin's Puffy Purse tutorial again. I also alternated my fabric pieces by adding a layer of organza over every other strip.


I also used a metal measuring tape (cut to size) in the top closure of the bag. I was surprised at how well it worked, and I found the info for this at Freebies for Crafters.





Here's another evening bag using Orla Kiely tea towels. I liked the turquoise color and it matches a pair of capri pants that I own.



It looks a little boxy in this picture.

















A patch pocket inside, and a magnetic snap closure.











The hard bottom.


Chlorox loves the new purse and is perhaps envisioning herself out on the town with it.





So I'll leave it at that. The Oscars are on and I'm trying to stay awake for the whole thing!


5 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

Great purses Laura and thanks for sharing the tape measure tutorial...Tom is always losing his tape measure and buying new ones...next time he leaves one out I'm going to cut it up for purses!!!

Cyndi said...

Very nice work, Laura. I'm sure your niece will be thrilled with the lavender one! And your Orla Kiely tea towel purse is too cute. Honestly, until I started reading other people's blogs, I had never heard of Orla Kiely. Guess I'd better get out more! :o)

gwensews said...

Nice bags! Oh, and the tape measure closure is genius. Thanks for providing the link to th tutorial.

Two Pitties in the City said...

Those turned out great. And imagine how great the Orla Kiely will look this Spring. Were you able to stay up for the whole Oscars and see the big upset?

laura said...

Ladies, I was thrilled when I found I still had my tape measure and didn't have to go buy a new one.
Schwang, I fell asleep right in the middle (as I usually do) and missed the big stuff!! Will I ever find out what happened?