Thursday, January 24, 2008

So So Sewing


Here is my version of BWOF 09-2007-117. Not my favorite. (I implore you to ignore the fact that this picture was taken in the middle of the winter and I'm not wearing panty hose. Yuck, winter legs!).


First of all, I don't know why I even made it.

Wait! Yes, I do.

I jumped on the Burda band wagon, that's why.


I never would have given this dress a second thought, mainly because you could hardly see any details in the magazine photo. But all of a sudden, all the bloggers that I liked to stalk, were making this dress. And they looked nice.

But I still should have thought it over. Because I don't wear dresses like this. At my office job we wear pants and jeans. We sometimes have to lift or carry products that aren't altogether clean and we would ruin something good. However, in the summer I admit that I do wear what I call sun dresses to work. We are very relaxed there. No dress code and I love it!

And if I need a dress for going out, then I wear something with a lot more pizazz! A lot more!

I decided to go collarless with this dress. I copied Erica's version. Although I can tell that I should have somehow brought the pleats in closer at the top of the neckline. If you click on my version you can see that the pleat is spaced too far apart.

Also, like the idiot that I am, I forgot to shorten the length in the body as I'm only 5 feet tall. So I compensated by making a much bigger seam between the upper bodice and the skirt. Probably something like 2 inches. I'm not sure how it affected the darts in the bottom front, and back, but I had to fiddle with them FAR more than I would have liked.

I cut out a size 38 which is almost exactly my measurements but it was too big through the hips and waist so I took it in at the sides and then had to fiddle with the darts again.

I should never have gone with 2 colors. This dress just chops me in half. If I'm ever to wear it, (and I will force myself) I'll have to liven it up a little. I have some gold trim with little rhinestones that I'm going to hand sew between the bodice and skirt. And when I toss this dress (and believe me I will) I'll cut the trim off and use it again.

I didn't get any sewing done tonight. Happy Hans the Traveling Salesman will be here tomorrow night after a week on the road and I had to do a little (A LOT) of cleaning.

Baby Girl begged me to please feed the cats as one of them was busy licking the kitchen floor. I knew that the cats had plenty of food but after one look at the floor I realized I could probably serve a 7 course meal off of it.

So I spent the evening sweeping, scrubbing, mopping, and going for a 4 mile (sorry, not the 5 I've been striving for) run. It's about 15 degrees here guys! Give me a break.

Here, I've pinned the trim to the front of the dress.
A close up of the trim, note the pins. I took this picture of the cats just a couple of minutes ago. This is where I do my cold weather blogging.



Sally Stitch thinks she's Hot Stuff with MY dress and MY newest wine bag. She can just dream on! I don't know if she realizes it but her hips look huge in MY dress.

Meow!

1 comment:

Angelia said...

I like your little dress! Its very cute and modern looking. And you did a good job sewing it!!! I do see the need to jazz it up a bit though.. so I like the gold trim!!!
Ofcourse I love anything sparkly!!!!