Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Little Bit of Sewing and a Big Ass Purse.

Today I ended up slashing and enlarging the heck out of the doggy coat pattern from yesterday's post.

I took pictures of the altered pattern, and then sewed up a new and bigger coat. But I went and gave the finished project to Vet Tech Girl without taking anymore pictures! She was getting ready for an overnight shift at the Vet Hospital and since she was in a hurry I didn't even get to see Duncan trying it on.

Unfortunately I don't see Duncan as often as I'd like but I bet if I wave my checkbook around the apartment a bit, Vet Tech Girl will smell it and I'll get a phone call.

If my scheme works, I promise to take many photos (of Duncan, not my checkbook).

I know you can't wait.


Here are the altered pieces.

I lengthened the body, and added a couple of inches to the chest area. That meant some collar and waist band fixing, and then I was done.

I only wish I knew if it fit!








Here is the underbelly/chest area on the pattern.


It looks like a full bust adjustment doesn't it?









Anyway, a week or so ago I mentioned that I was making a purse. And I was shocked because some people didn't like my choice of fabric!!

Sniff!

But I made it anyway and here it is.





Lying on the floor.













Look at this thing! It's huge.

I immediately started toting it around, and what I found to be surprising was the lack of comments--from women, but I got quite a few compliments from men. One man at the grocery store nearly turned inside out, and yelled for everyone to look at it.



Hans thinks it looks like something you'd buy from a store and that's why women haven't made any comments. I don't know, I guess it's just vanity on my part (c'mon, I'm never going to climb Mt. Everest, or find a cure for cancer, or win an Oscar) but I think it's fun when people take notice of things I've made.

I now use it for work since it can hold my water bottle, lunch, etc... and the lady I work for said, "Wow, that is a typical big 'burgh purse!"

But, it does hold a lot, and I also use it when I go to the gym (water bottle, towel, apple...), and since the gym is above our library I can also check out a couple of books with no problem.

I probably won't make it again but at least I don't need to buy a new suitcase anytime soon.

No comments: