Friday, November 21, 2008

The curse continues

I'm talking about my vacation jinx affliction.

Hans and I have been pretty lucky this past year in our travels and except for a few squalls while aboard our boat (which is to be expected) we've been pretty much jinx free.

And then I decided to fly down to Annapolis to join Hans who's been there all week on business. He drove down last weekend, stayed on our boat, and commuted into DC each day. We decided that we would both take Thursday and Friday off and use this long weekend to winterize the boat.

Thursday morning I took a bus from the Big City (the $2.60 it costs for this trip more than makes up for the fact that there is not one friendly bus driver to be had in this city!) and an hour later I arrived at the airport much earlier than I really needed to, for one never knows how long the security people might like to detain and torture one. But I breezed through security and was all bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready for my 45 minute flight to Baltimore where Hans and I were going to go out for lunch.

About 7 HOURS later I landed.

Needless to say, we didn't go out for lunch and we just got to the restaurant near our boat in time to eat the last of the dried up happy hour food.

As near as I can figure, the plane that I was to fly on caught wind of the fact that I was going to be on board, and gave up the ghost, bought the farm, or maybe just went on strike.

Our first delay was for 3 hours so I went to the food court and drank my lunch.

The next delay was for 2 hours so I went to the food court and drank my dinner.

Finally a plane from a different Big City was flown in and before it could register the fact that I was on board we were already landing.

Of course no trip is complete without the obligatory phone call from home that something's gone wrong.

As soon as I heard Baby Girl's wobbly voice I knew something had happened.

She ran over a neighbor's mail box.

Not my neighbor's mailbox.

Her dad's neighbor's mailbox.

So after Dad gets done screaming at her, I get the phone call.

I guess since I bought the car Baby Girl drives, then I'm responsible for everything she hits.

That's the rationale back home anyway.

Stay tuned, I don't think we're done yet.

Chlorox Kitty waiting for Mommy to come home.
Just keep out of Baby Girl's way.


Anonymous said...

Oh dear, doesn't sound like a good day. But you have to look at the positive aspect: It can only get better. It's funny how wasbands always blame us for everything our adult children do. My son is headed south for the winter and he called his dad for money then his dad called me. What do I have to do with it? I don't want his money. My wasband is lucky I actually mostly still like him or there would have been an argument.

laura said...

Go figure! I think it's the nature of the beast myself.