Sunday, November 7, 2010

What are the chances?

Yesterday we motored past the Figure Eight Bridge in North Carolina (and we were lucky enough to arrive about 3 minutes before its opening). Only one other boat came through with us and like we always do, we looked it over. We like to see what kind of boat it is, what kind of rigging or equipment they have, where its from, and what its name is.


Hans was pretty sure it was an Island Packet (we have an Island Packet Cat) and then he remarked, "It's from Michigan." I looked up at that time and saw its name was Far Niente.

Now wait a minute, I thought. How many Island Packets from Michigan are going to have that name.

I'm pretty sure Hans thought I was crazy when I told him I thought I might know who they were.

I got on the radio, requested they go to channel 68 and asked if Marji was on board.


When I heard a woman start laughing, I knew I had it right!


Yes folks, Marji from Fiber Arts Afloat (and SV Far Niente) passed us in the Intracoastal Waterway!! I had checked her sailing blog earlier but she hadn't posted on it recently so I had no idea she was anywhere near us.


And even so, what are the chances that we'd actually pass like ships in the night?

I'm sorry, I just had to write that!

11 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

That is too awesome Laura! Small world!

a little sewing said...

That's incredible! How cool :)

Shannon said...

Super cool! Now if I could just get all you boaters to meet up in the Detroit River, I could host a party!

laura said...

Shannon, with my sense of direction if I were at the helm we'd probably end up there!

Cyndi said...

That is pretty awesome. Are they going to the same place as you? Now that would be really crazy!

XOXO,

Cyndi

laura said...

Cyndi, I believe they are going to stop in SC for a bit and we're going to FL. But even though we're in a narrow waterway and going in the same direction we probably won't see each other again.

Ken n Cheryl said...

It's a small world!

laura said...

Honest to God, Cheryl, it would be like passing by you guys some day, it was that strange!

BeeBee said...

How cool is that?!?

Mary Witzl said...

That is funny!

And who says blogging is just a solitary pursuit that only gives us the illusion of camaraderie?

laura said...

The world is shrinking at a very fast pace! Maybe not such a bad thing.