Friday, June 13, 2008

Still floating along.

I keep forgetting to mention that I got an email the other day from Marji at Fiber Arts Afloat and I was thrilled to hear that she and her husband just closed on a sail boat last month with intentions of living on it in the future. It's also an Island Packet but theirs is a mono hull and ours is a catamaran.

I'm sure many of you have read her blog and as she's an experienced (and obviously good) knitter, knitting on a boat should be relatively easy.

Sewing on a boat?

Well I've been mulling that one over.

We have nice size table in the salon and if I'm hooked up to shore power or we get a generator then I can have enough power to sew.

The cutting out of fabric will be different. The seating area in the salon can be made to lay flat so that it's like a double bed. I could lay my cutting mat on it and cut stuff out.

Remaining organized?

That will be a problem people, because I am a slob!!

And like Connie just posted, pins can be a huge issue.

Of course I have no idea what the hell I'll be sewing by then because you need next to no clothing while on a boat. A couple of swimsuits, some very comfortable shorts, t-shirts and lots of sunscreen is about it. I don't really want to live on it in the winter (and obviously since it's boat you don't have to stay in one place) but even if you do you still don't need much more in the way of clothing.

Today we are still in St. Michael's and as we're at anchor (no charge for anchoring) we are going to depend a water 'taxi' to get us to shore. However we found out a while ago that the taxi service only runs from 5 pm to 10 pm. That means that we'll be on the boat all day and I suppose I really ought to do some more cleaning and less blogging.

Yesterday I finally scrubbed both of the heads and showers. Today I should get a bucket of cleaning solution and soak the bottoms of the shower curtains as there appears to be some mildew trapped within the hem stitches. Then the galley floor really needs to be swept and scrubbed also.

As I type all of this, Hans is just now reading the owners manual that came with the boat. I'm trying to close my ears to comments of "Wow, I didn't know that." "Boy, it's a good thing I did that on our trip last month." "Have you seen my rigging knife?"






I just remembered that we have an open bottle of champagne left over from christening the boat so I'm going to leave Hans to his reading and constant peering into the engine room (and comments of "Where the hell is that switch?), and go have a mimosa!





Now where did I put that owner's manual?

No comments: