Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wadda Weekend!

I drove back to my little swamp town early Saturday morning.

Baby Girl had a lacrosse game at noon.

We won, but I was frozen to the bone as it was horribly cold, windy, and rainy!

Before the game (because I knew what the wind and rain would do to my hair) I went and got my driver's license photo taken. Honest to God, it's the best one I've ever had! It looks nothing like me.

I took an antique desk out to my parents so that it can be stored in the event that we ever move onto our boat.

I went shopping in hopes of finding something to wear that wasn't second hand or made by me.

I had no luck, and OMG how I hate dressing room mirrors!

I tried to check into the hotel where I'd made online reservations the night before. Apparently I didn't know what I was doing, or I really wanted to be somewhere else, as my reservation wasn't even in this state! I don't even know anyone in Toledo!

I bribed my best friend from my thirty-something single days (all it took was a bottle of bourbon) into letting me invade her home for the evening so I wouldn't have to sit alone in my hotel room all night long.

She had an out of state friend complete with family staying at her home for the weekend, but thanks to the bourbon, said, "Sure, c'mon over!"

So I did.

Unfortunately for everyone there, I developed diarrhea of the mouth and never shut up!

We laughed about our good old single days, like the time we met a bunch of business men and they drank champagne out of one of her red high heeled shoes.

On a Wednesday night.

I was wearing sandals.

She told me about her son's upcoming wedding. She's trying to be good, doing absolutely everything the bride wants, and has warned her husband to keep her in check at the reception. She doesn't want to go down in family history as the crazy drunk mother in law who danced on the tables!

I reminded her how we used to throw pizza crusts to Vet Tech Girl (about 6 months old at the time) who happily gnawed at them as she sat in her infant seat.


She asked if I remember when, as a basketball cheerleader in high school, she got confused and ran out onto the court before the buzzer sounded, tripped over her own feet and landed flat on her face in the middle of the game!
I must not have been there because I don't remember it, but oh how I wish I'd seen that!

I was so wound up when I got back to the hotel I couldn't sleep. That, coupled with losing an hour due to Daylight Savings Time, made it very difficult to get out of bed this morning.

I headed straight to Baby Girl's Soccer Banquet (lacrosse game yesterday, soccer banquet today!). Anyway, have you ever sat through lunch in a room with twenty three sobbing college girls, all fanning their faces and bawling, "I promised myself I wouldn't cry!!"? Only three of them are graduating this year and I don't even want to think how bad it will be next year when seven of them (one of them being Baby Girl) venture out into the big world.

I will be taking a whole box of Kleenex.

I finally arrived back in the Big City where I am now camped out on the futon with The Countess von Chlorox and trying to digest the huge lunch that was served at the banquet.


I thought weekends were for relaxing!


No comments: