Monday, December 31, 2007

A calmer approach to New Year's Eve

I'm a little calmer now. Cidell from Miss Celies Pants came to my rescue. I now have pattern review on my side bar. I don't know about any of you but I think the Internet is the greatest invention ever. It literally opens the door to the world and some wonderful people out there. I also broke down and ordered a computer today. I think I've gotten all the life out of this dinosaur that I can. I'm also going to re-post my Holocaust picture from Berlin that hopefully won't be sideways.



Isn't it hard to believe that the Berlin Wall only came down in 1989? We saw a movie (documentary) this winter called The Lives of Others. It was German but had subtitles. I normally don't care for subtitles but this movie was great. It's so hard to imagine that I visited a country where just a few years ago (well, more than a few but time flies) people really had no freedom or rights. Typewriters were even registered so that if you ever sent a typed letter to anyone, criticizing the government, it could be traced back to you. There are parts of the wall still standing. On the eastern side they are blank, on the western side they are covered in graffiti. How awful it must have been to know that freedom was a few short feet away. Actually, no one could get close to the wall back then as there was barbed wire and fences to keep people away. I thought I had some pictures of the remaining walls but I don't.

But I do have a more cheerful picture:




Knute! He was around 8 or 9 months old here. Remember? He was the polar bear that was abandoned by his mother. From the looks of things someone needs to show him how to bathe himself. He was filthy. I was surprised at how unsophisticated the Berlin Zoo was. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. The zoos that I've been to in the states are huge state of the art things. This was more like a little park with exhibits scattered here and there. But I did read this December on Knute's first birthday that he has a penchant for rolling in mud. No kidding!

Well, it is New Year's Eve and we've been asked ever so politely to vacate the premises.

Some one's planning a little bash and we aren't invited.







Happy New Year

No comments: