Thursday, January 15, 2009

Oh no! Run everybody! She has more vacation pictures!

I promise only a few pictures will be posted; not all 77 that I've taken already.
This is a pub.
A real pub.
And I was so excited because something I've always wanted to do was visit a real English pub.
One of the business people that Hans is dealing with, got online and looked up Free House which is what real pubs are known as (?) and we found two. This one served food so that's why we chose it. I had venison and it was fabulous!!! There were real coal fireplaces in use and it was so nice to see people enjoying their meals while the family dog napped on their laps.

You won't see that in America.







Boats that are used as apartments are very commom. The bus we were on moved too quickly for me to get pictures of the flower pots, bicycles, even tables and chairs that people have scattered all over the tops of the boats just like it was a yard or a balcony.









This is one of many bike stores. Cambridge students are not allowed to have cars if they live within 5 miles of the university so therefor over 35,000 (!) bikes are used on a daily basis.


Check out the condition of the bike over the sign. Someone has a good sense of humor.









This is just one 'parking lot'.

I can't imagine trying to find my bike amongst all of these!








This sign was just too cute! I had to take a picture.




This is from the very fast bus tour that we took in London yesterday. Stephanie and I only had 4 hours in the city and we made the most of it. We may go back next week when we're in Oxford and really do it right. The bus tours are wonderful in that you can get off wherever you want and another bus will be along in 2o minutes and you just resume the tour. We would love to get off at Buckingham Palace (I just need to let the Queen know ahead of time so she can tidy up a bit and get our tea and crumpets ready), and take the Jack the Ripper tour, or visit the Tower of London. All of this can be done via bus and Thank God Stephanie figured out the subway maps so we got back to the train station in time to meet our poor working men who were waiting for us.


I liked this picture because fog gives pictures an intersting affect.





We arrived in Barcelona late last night and will be here for 3 days. Then we're off once again. However we will be back in England next week and Stephanie and I would love to spend a whole day and not just 4 hours in London. What a beautiful city and the citizens have been nothing but friendly and helpful!

3 comments:

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Looks like a fabulous trip so far! I love that last photo. I want to hear about Spain as I am thinking of taking my holiday there this year.

laura said...

I'll ask Hans (who's been everywhere) if he has any ideas etc... I only wish that I could speak at least 2 languages, what a help that would be! When will America get with it and start a 2nd language in our schools at an earlier age! The world is getting smaller and smaller!

Mary Witzl said...

That makes me nostalgic for Scotland!